CNC Milling in Aluminum Extrusion
A variety of methods are used in aluminum extrusion fabrication to achieve accuracy in the finished components. Selection of the elements of the fabrication process depends on the end use and specifications of the product being manufactured. This may be a simple procedure or a complex system that offers more precise specifications, the creation of prototypes or the production of a large quantity of parts. Computer Numerically Controlled,or CNC, milling is a versatile method of fabrication of an aluminum extrusion that can manage a diverse range of manufacturing requirements.
Aluminum Extrusion Fabrication by CNC Milling
The purpose of CNC milling is to systematically and accurately create identical aluminum extrusion components in a continuous and consistent manner. This process includes the following stages:
- Components undergo various complex machining procedures without any human handling. This computerization prevents tolerance variations in the reproduced components.
- The technology of precision CNC machining creates a complete machining solution using short-bed or long-bed lathes. It also offers variable and high-speed 3, 4, or 5-axis horizontal or vertical machining and tapping centers, as well as automated and robotic handling equipment. This allows manufacturers to cater to the production of high-precision components of diverse sizes and configurations.
- Indexing features allow for 4-axis rotating capabilities so that the extrusion material can be lathed on all of its surfaces in just one or two configurations, adding to the conventional milling, drilling, punching, welding, bending, and cutting capabilities.
Benefits of CNC Milling Fabrication
CNC milling offers many benefits in addition to producing quality aluminum extrusion products.
- The automated manufacturing provides several secondary machining facilities, thus reducing production costs by requiring less labour and eliminating waste due to human error.
- CNC milling is more efficient as all work is centralized at a single location, reducing timelines and simplifying logistics, as only a single vendor is required.
- Output is increased with automation, as it is possible to have the production line operate without interruption for longer periods.
- Safety is also improved as experienced operators can control all processes from a command centre, minimizing human intervention. The line can be stopped and restarted as needed to apply any necessary corrective measures.
CNC milling is adaptable to changes in design and specification, offering the flexibility of fast changeover by loading a new verified and tested program. It is also possible to revert to the previous program at any time, with reliable fabrication of consistent quality in the resulting aluminum extrusion products.